Some swear by the medical benefits of massage therapy while there are those that believe it is nothing more than a “feel-good” measure. As is the case with any action on or in the body, the topic has been scientifically studied, particularly as to the effects of massage therapy on pain, cancer, mental health, fibromyalgia, and headaches.
- Pain – Research has shown that massage therapy can help with pain, depending on the source of the pain and its location. The most effective uses were found when dealing with pain in the lower back, neck, and knee.
- Cancer – While massage therapy is not a cure for cancer and won’t slow its progression, it is helpful for boosting mood and promoting relaxation. Care must be taken, however, as there are precautions involved, so if you have cancer, you should always relay that to your massage therapist.
- Mental Health – Research has not been able to definitively say that massage therapy is beneficial for certain mental health challenges. However, the relaxation benefits do appear to aid with depression and anxiety.
- Fibromyalgia – Studies have indicated that massage therapy can provide temporary symptom reduction for those suffering from fibromyalgia, but it is important to work with a therapist that utilizes methods that don’t cause pain or discomfort.
- Headaches – While there isn’t a definitive answer yet about massage therapy aiding with headaches and migraines overall, it is likely that those caused by tension can be abated by relaxing the tense muscles.
Massage therapy has very few risks when performed by a trained therapist, so even if you don’t get the medical benefit you hope for, it is worth trying. Discuss your health issues in advance with your massage therapist so that the best technique can be utilized and any precautions taken.
Here at Lotus 5 Senses Spa, our primary goal is to make you feel better – to move you toward overall health & wellness through massage therapy. While there isn’t a guarantee that you will benefit from a medical standpoint and we urge you to continue with the conventional care you have in place, we are firm believers in the benefits involved with massage therapy and we offer many different types so that the best techniques can be applied for your situation. Talk with your health care provider and if they give the green light, call us to book an appointment.